Monday, January 12, 2009

2008 BCSC 1660 Allied Hydro Council v. Construction, Maintenance and Allied Workers Bargaining Council, Local 2300

read full text online (not pdf)

In the matter of Section 2 of the Judicial Review Procedure Act, R.S.B.C. 1996, c. 241,
and British Columbia Labour Relations Board Decision No. B235/2007


Allied Hydro Council v. Construction, Maintenance and Allied Workers Bargaining Council, Local 2300,

2008 BCSC 1660

Date: 20081202
Docket: S078458
Registry: Vancouver


Allied Hydro Council



Construction, Maintenance and Allied Workers Bargaining Council, Local 2300,
British Columbia Provincial Council of Carpenters and the British Columbia Labour Relations Board


Before: The Honourable Mr. Justice Pearlman

Reasons for Judgment


Anonymous said...

Scaffold worker at pulp mill shocked

Citizen staff
Friday, 16 January 2009
Related Items


A worker received a serious electrical shock Friday morning after a piece of scaffolding he was installing touched a high-powered line above the pipe bridge between Intercon and P.G. Pulp and Paper.
The ensuing explosion shut down power briefly to both pulp mills, Husky Energy and two chemical plants -- FMC and Chemtrade -- in the industrial area on River Road on the north side of the Nechako River.
A B.C. Hydro crew isolated the power line, just before noon, so the injured worker could be safely extracted. The incident took place before 11:30 and it took about 90 minutes hours to rescue the 32-year-old Prince George man, who was taken to hospital.
The RCMP, Prince George Fire Rescue and ambulance crews were also on the scene.
RCMP spokesman Const. Gary Godwin said the worker -- who is employed by Chinook Scaffolding -- was talking. However, Godwin said the extent of the worker's injuries are unknown.
The coverall-clad worker, his feet dangling from the top of the pipe bridge, could be seen moving his hand prior to being rescued. One of his co-workers was also on the bridge talking to him.
Canfor Pulp spokesperson Rick Lewis said the power line carried 69,000 volts.
"You can well imagine what happens when metal hits a power line," said Lewis.
Workers in the industrial area recounted hearing a loud boom and a bright flash as the power instantly cut off in the area.
Lewis explained that a metal pole used in scaffolding touched the power line as scaffolding was being erected so repairs could be made to a leak in the pipe bridge, which transports steam and heated chemicals between the two pulp mills.
Lewis said all contractors get safety orientation before they can work on the pulp mill site, adding the scaffolding company working on the pipe bridge was a "very seasoned contractor."
B.C. Hydro spokesman Bob Gammer said the power was down for only three minutes and there was no damage to the nearby substation.
Although the power was only down for a few minutes, it did create bigger problems for the industrial plants including Husky Energy.
Husky Energy refinery manager Greg Calpas said the power was down long enough that they had to restart the mill slowly, bringing on pieces of equipment in a specific sequence. The restart was still underway hours after the morning incident.
The sudden power shutdown also sparked the use of the refinery's flare stack, which is used as a safety relief valve to burn off gases in the system in non-routine circumstances such as this, said Calpas.
Chinook Scaffolding representatives could not be reached for comment.
WorkSafe B.C. was also on site and is investigating the incident.

Anonymous said...

hope this guy is all right they seem more concerned about how long the power was out

karen said...

I think that there was an element that WAS more concerned about the length of time the power was out, but there were a lot of people who cared about getting him down safely, too. He's pretty burned, but he's alive.